Local Area Information
There's so much to do in the area, both in Summer and Winter! We are in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty on the edge of the Yorkshire Moors National Park, so there are plenty of walks and scenic drives nearby.
If you like visiting historical buildings we recommend:
- Ampleforth Abbey
- Rievaulx Abbey
- Byland Abbey
- Helmsley castle
- Castle Howard (Brideshead Revisited was filmed here)
- Nunnington Hall
- Beningborough Hall
to name but a few!
For fun pursuits:
- NYM Steam Railway (in the picturesque market town of Pickering)
- Flamingo Land (theme park and zoo)
- Lightwater Valley (family theme park)
- World of James Herriot (in his home town of Thirsk, as seen on TV in The Yorkshire Vet)
- St Alban's Sports centre and swimming pool (attached to Ampleforth Abbey)
- Terrington Lavender Farm
- Ryedale folk museum
- Monk Park Farm (children can interact with a wide range of animals)
We may be in the quiet of the countryside but it's not far to the shops:
- Helmsley, a pretty market town, is 10 minutes away
- The ancient city of York is 45 minutes away
- Thirsk, Easingwold and Pickering are all within 30 minutes away and boast thriving markets on specific days
- Ampleforth village has a cafe, post office and village shop and is only 5 minutes away
The coast can be reached in an hour. We enjoy going to:
Whitby for its Abbey on the hill and interesting links to Dracula and Captain Cook, as well as the famous fish and chips in The Magpie cafe!
- Scarborough for its stunning views, Peasholme park and gardens, and the Stephen Joseph Theatre
- Filey for its stunning sandy beaches
There's more than there's room to tell you about, but we can always suggest things to do.